In layman description, OCR (optical character recognition) enables your app to support capturing of identity document (ID) details by capitalizing on smartphone camera.
By pointing the camera to an ID card, field-by-field ID details will be scanned and populated onto your app.
The entire user experience happens within your mobile app (iOS / Android SDK). It works offline – eliminating any concern for data residency, and it is blazing fast. OkayID supports OCR scanning for the following IDs:
- Citizen’s MyKad (often also misspelled as MyCard by foreigners), front and back
- Army’s MyTentera (additional Army ID No. from MyKad)
- Permanent resident’s MyPR (same fields as MyKad)
- Foreign worker’s iKad (IMM9, IMM13) and visa (ICAO 9303 MRZ line)
- Foreign student’s iKad (IMM55)
- Driving license
- Citizen’s and permanent resident’s NRIC
- Citizen’s eKTP
- Hong Kong
- Identity Card (IC)
- Passport of more than 150 countries (MRZ line of ICAO 9303 machine readable passport)
OkayID is powered by the world renown Microblink’s technology, and Innov8tif is a strategic distributor of Microblink products in Asia.
The OCR scanning of customer’s ID is already implemented by almost all major mobile network operators in Malaysia for the registration of prepaid SIM by dealers nationwide. This technology helps telcos to comply with the regulator’s guidelines for subscriber registration and to minimize ID fraud while promoting data integrity. Besides, ID capture using OCR is also implemented as part of eKYC process flow in financial services industry, combining with facial recognition and document quality check.